Flyway is an open-source database migration tool. It strongly favors simplicity and convention over configuration.
This instructor-led, live training (online or onsite) will teach how to configure and run flyway to build a migration pipeline in SQL. Database-specific syntax such as PL/SQL and T-SQL are supported, as well as Java (for advanced data transformations or for dealing with LOBs). Practical scenarios will help to understand real-world usages.
Format of the Course
- Interactive lecture and discussion.
- Lots of exercises and practice.
- Hands-on implementation in a live-lab environment.
Course Customization Options
- To request a customized training for this course, please contact us to arrange.
- Experience with database management and database management systems
- Database administrators
Module 1. Refreshing the concepts
- Why we need database migrations
- How Flyway works
- Supported databases
Module 2. Flyway building blocks
- What is a migration
- Understanding Callbacks
- Overriding Errors
Module 3. Understanding the Commands available
- Let’s do a migration
- Using the pipeline: Migrate, Clean, Info, Validate
- Using the pipeline: Undo, Baseline, Repair
Module 4. Using different ways to interact with Flyway
- Approaching the command line
- Using the API on Java
- How to use Maven with Flyway
- How to use Gradle with Flyway
- The error codes
Module 5. How to configure Flyway
- The available parameters
- The role of the Environment variables
- Using configuration files
- Understanding placeholders
- Using security via SSL
- How to manage authentication
- How to store secrets
Module 6. Using Advanced concepts
- What is a repeatable migration
- How to undo a migration
- Think about a Java-based migration
- Injecting code into flyway lifecycle via callbacks
- Using error overrides in a productive way
- The essential role of a dry run
Summary and Conclusion