Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) allows for the creation of applications that run as centrally managed services. App-V applications have the benefit of never needing to be installed directly on the end user’s computer and never conflicting with other applications.
In this instructor-led, live training, we introduce the architecture, components and processes behind application virtualization and walk participants step-by-step through the deployment of App-V and App-V applications in a live lab environment. By the end of the course, participants will have knowledge and hands-on practice needed to install, configure, administer, and troubleshoot App-V as well as create, package and deploy their own App-V applications.
Format of the course
- Part lecture, part discussion, exercises and heavy hands-on practice
- This course covers version 5.1 of App-V. For training on a different version, please contact us to arrange.
- Knowledge of Active Directory.
- Experience with Windows Server.
- Basic knowledge of SQL Server.
- Basic knowledge of Windows Terminal Services.
- Basic knowledge of System Center Configuration Manager.
- Experience or interest in managing Windows desktops in an Enterprise environment.
- IT Professionals in charge of managing desktop configurations and deployments
- IT professionals wishing to expand their knowledge and skills in virtualization
Introduction to Microsoft App-V
- Why virtualize your Windows applications?
Overview of App-V’s Application Virtualization Architecture
- How application virtualization works
- The role of the client
- The role of the Sequencer
- The App-V Package
Planning Your Virtualization Infrastructure
- Planning the App-V supporting infrastructure
- Overview of various deployment scenarios
- Installing and configuring the App-V server
Installing and Configuring the Application Virtualization Sequencer
- Overview of the application virtualization sequencer
- Planning the sequencer environment
- Classifying applications for sequencing
- Understanding the sequencing limitations
- Sequencing your first application
- Using the sequencer-generated MSI file to deploy offline
Using the App-V Package Accelerator
- Overview of package accelerator
- Creating a package accelerator using PowerShell
- Creating a package using a package accelerator
Upgrading Your App-V Application Package
- Updating a package to replace an existing one
- Updating a package for deployment with the existing package
- Updating a package with PowerShell
- Sequencing for connection groups (plug-ins and middleware)
- Using the App-V package converter (4.6 to 5.x)
- Dynamic configuration and targeted scripting
Advanced App-V Sequencing Techniques
- Sequencing a web-based application
- Creating a Virtual Environment for the application
- Sequencing an application that hard codes its install to the C:\ drive
- Performing an Open for Package Upgrade on an existing package
- Building scripts into an .OSD file
Application Virtualization Management Server Administration
- Application Virtualization Management Console Overview
- Publishing applications into the Application Virtualization Environment
- Modifying published applications & configuring version upgrades
- Performing management tasks
- Planning & installing the Microsoft Application Virtualization Client
- Planning the deployment of Application Virtualization Client
- Installing & Configuring the App-V client
- Managing the client configuration features using PowerShell
- Avoiding rabbit holes
- Combining different areas of knowledge: foundational, operational, contextual
- Using Process Monitor to troubleshoot
- Troubleshooting the App-V client
- Troubleshooting the OSD file
- Advanced troubleshooting
Microsoft App-V Best Practices
- Verifying the configuration settings of an App-V Server 5.0 instance
- Using Practice Analyzer as a diagnostic tool
- Understanding the program
- Items to document
- Components, update requirements, post-installation configuration steps, user behavior, workarounds
Application Deployment with SCCM via HTTP
Application Deployment with RESWorkspace Manager